The WPA – World Paddle Association has just announced the creation of its very own World SUP Tour (WST).
The 2017 World SUP Tour will bring together 10-12 of the best events around the world not only showcasing Elite and Professional Racers but also Open and Kids competitors. 6 countries will feature the 2017 WST schedule including Puerto Rico, Canada, Korea, China, France and the USA. All the races included in this first 2017 World SUP Tour have been picked based on their location, date, sponsors, racing format and spectator set-up in order to deliver the best growth for the sport and the tour.
“While providing a wide 2017 event schedule, the World SUP Tour events support paddlers of all levels with the Open (beginner / intermediate paddlers) and Kids races along with the Elite-Pro races. The Open and Kids competitors are the future of the sport and vital to the best growth for stand up paddling, paddle sports and manufactures products sold at retail.” says Byron Kurt, President of the WPA.
Points will be given to the Elite-Pro divisions at each event that will determine a 2017 WST World Champion at the season finale: the Pacific Paddle Games, presented by Salt Life on September 29th-October 1, 2017. Prize money will be offered for the Elite Pro SUP divisions at each event along with a season ending Salt Life bonus money to the top points finishers.
Here is the expected 2017 World SUP Tour schedule:
– April 9th, Rincon Beach Boy SUP Race in Puerto Rico
– April 22th, Carolina Cup, Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, USA
– May 20th, SUP Race CUP, Sainte Maxime, French Riviera, France
– June 3rd, WPA Championships, Columbus, Georgia, USA
– June 10th, Turtle Bay Challenge, Oahu, Hawaii
– July 1st, China SUP Challenge, China
– July 8th, Canadian Championships, Toronto, CN
– August 19th, Naish Columbia Gorge Challenge, Hood River, OR
– September 2nd, Korea SUP Cup, Seoul, South Korea
– Sept 9th, Pending, Asia
– Sept 23rd, Battle of the Bay, San Francisco, CA
– Sept 29th, Pacific Paddle Games, Dana Point, CA
More information: www.worldpaddleassociation.com / firstname.lastname@example.org