After a break from US competition over the past month or two, things are ramping back up in a big way this weekend, as the penultimate stop of the APP’s 2019 US Cup powered by the WPA gets underway in the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon.
The SIC Gorge Paddle Challenge has long been a favourite amongst the World’s elite paddlers given the ideal downwind conditions that the venue provides, coupled with the phenomenal job that the Organizers have done in creating a strongly rooted, community focused event. Watch out for many of the World’s best this weekend, who have descended upon Columbia River Gorge for a weekend filled with downwind paddling and fun, as they battle it out for the event win and vital points towards their overall US Cup Standings.
Following on from the SIC Gorge Paddle Challenge will be what is the most comprehensive single event in the sport of Stand Up Paddling, and the 2nd stop on the 2019 APP World Championship Tour for both Surfing and Racing: the New York SUP Open.
The New York SUP Open will kick off with a high profile Red Carpet Opening event on Friday 30th August at Minnesota’s in Long Beach. The action will then all get underway on Saturday 31st and run through as follows:
1) Opening Weekend (31st August – 2nd September): Open Trials & the start of the Main Event of the APP World Surfing Tour. ALso featuring an all new SUP Longboard Exhibition event celebrating both tradition and progression in Long Beach, New York
2) 31st August – 4th September: the culmination of the APP World Championship Tour Surfing stop in Long Beach, as the World’s best battle it out at stop #2 of the 2019 season
1) Opening Weekend (31st August – 1st September) – Long Beach, NY: Surf For All Distance Race for Pro-Am, Amateur and Juniors on the Saturday, followed by Surf Sprint Racing for Pro-Am and Juniors on the Sunday
2) Thursday 5th September: APP World Tour Surf Sprint Racing in Long Beach, NY featuring the World’s very best battling it out at Stop#2 of the 2019 season of the APP World Tour
3) Saturday 7th September: APP World Tour Distance Race around the Statue of Liberty in the heart of Big Apple will wrap and incredible week in New York with one of the most iconic races in the world
1) Location: This year’s festival activation will be focused out at Long Beach over Labor Day weekend, when this seaside community will be turned into a hub for the sport of Stand Up Paddling, with participation at every level and entertainment with the World’s very best in town for the week.
2) APP Pool: As with all City Paddle Festival Events, there will be a full schedule of activities in the APP Pool, from SUP Yoga to youth clinics and Pro exhibitions – stay tuned for schedule info for the pool and early bird sign ups to be released early next week.
3) Socializing: With the World’s very best SUP athletes from across Surfing and Racing in attendance throughout the New York SUP Open, there will be plenty of opportunities to mingle with the Champions both on and off the water, with social activities throughout the week, from Movie Premieres, to the Awards Events and of course the Opening Night at Minnesota’s. Stay tuned for final social schedule to be released next week at www.appworldtour.com and across social media @appworldtour
4) Charity – Surf For All: Do your bit to support the worthy non profit, Surf For All in their mission to make surfing accessible to all, regardless of challenges faced. The Open Distance Race is in aid of this worthy organization championed by SkudinSurf and the Long Beach Community as a whole. Get involved and play a part at the 2019 New York SUP Open
For Registration for amateur, pro-am and pro comoetition, confirm your spot at www.newyorksupopen.comand for the latest updates on the event, heat draws for surf and sprint racing, and on the Tour as a whole, stay in the loop @appworldtour
You may be mistaken for thinking that only professional athletes are the ones organising their days around sport. However, creating good routines for sport, fitness and competition at any stage of your fitness or paddling journey can help you achieve more than you thought possible. Being an athlete and juggling a busy life is super […]
[APP World Tour Press Release] The Han River provided the perfect setting for the 2023 APP‘s Asian Championship hosted by KAPP (Korean Association of Paddlesurf Professionals) in Seoul this past weekend. As Korea’s Capital City with 25 million residents, it was a fantastic opportunity for KAPP to provide a showcase of the sport to a […]
Daniel Hasulyo, Starboard Dream Team Rider, race board developer and SUP World Champ, returns to South Korea for the 2023 SUP Asian Championship hosted in Seoul by the APP‘s Korean partners, KAPP (Korean Association of Paddlesurf Professionals). On the eve of the event, TotalSUP caught up with Daniel to find out what drives him to […]
The APP World Tour returns to Korea from 13th – 14th May for the 2023 SUP Asian Championship hosted by the APP’s Korean partners, KAPP. The event will take place in the Capital City of Seoul, providing a new, exciting venue for athletes from all over Asia and the world. In the run up to […]
Many of you will know Seychelle from the SUP race world, she is an extraordinary athlete and coach and now mom too. You may also recognise her as a familiar sight on the red and white SIC boards, paddling on the stunningly beautiful waterways near her home in Florida. As we emerge out of the […]
Rising SUP star Bodie Von Allmen is already a name many on the Stand Up Paddle racing circuit know from his impressive results at Elite level on the world stage yet this young paddler is still eligible to compete as a junior racer. This season he signed with the NSP international race team and TotalSUP […]
The Carolina Pro-Am is the longest-running Pro Am Stand Up Paddle Surf event in the world and for the ninth edition of the contest event organisers, Haywood and Rob along with event sponsors Infinity SUP will be welcoming some of the top names in the SUP surfing world to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, USA from April […]
Rick Weeks is a self-confessed surf bum who signed a pro contract with SUNOVA at 70 years old. A real silver surfer also known around the world as @supthecreek with a board named after him in the SUNOVA line-up. If you do not know who this real-life surf dude is then grab a coffee and […]
If there’s one word coming to mind when thinking of the SUP sensation Rai Taguchi, is RELENTLESS. His explosive comeback from the fall and exceptional buoy turn in the men’s Sprint final at the APP World Tour’s Busan stop went viral and the SUP world is paying close attention. With the industry being positively shaken […]