With 10 years of development, it’s fair to say Starboard‘s Ace race stand up paddleboard has pioneered and led the innovation in dug out designs. Its unique narrow tail outline and dug out standing area, makes it a super fast board, perfectly suited for downwind specific races and open ocean conditions. TotalSUP had a close look at the cutting edge design of the 2020 Starboard Ace Race stand up paddleboard.
“Where there’s chop, you need to pop”
“I choose the Ace when downwinding as it’s the most fun you can have with the wind at your back. It is also perfect for those really choppy days or when the ocean is like a washing machine,” said Michael Booth, Starboard Dream Team Rider and ISA World Distance Champion. “The ace is very forgiving as you are standing right on the waterline in the dugout position! Can’t wait until summer in Perth to get this board out again.”
Fiona Wylde winning her 5th overall Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge title on her Starboard Ace board.
Round vee with double concave
• Allows the board to sit higher on the bumps, making it float over chops with ease
• Downwind the vee has a very smooth entry into bumps, accelerating the board into the next runner and feels more maneuverable to change direction.
New Concave Side Plane
• Provides stability directly under your feet
• Acts like stabilisers similar to a trimaran
New Wider Tail Outline
• Provides more stability when stepping back to surf and buoy turn
New Curved Rocker Line
• The round vee bottom creates a curved center rocker, helping to roll into bumps with ease without pearling the nose
New Eva Nose Ridge
Used to deflect water entering the tray and provides extra support when strapping boards to a roof rack. It comes in the accessory pack.
Nose Shape: Full Boxy Nose
• Full & boxy nose rails increases stability in side chop
• Limits drag from water wrapping around the nose and pulling the rails
• Provides extra buoyancy upwind and reduces the nose pitching downwind
• Curved nose kick for easy entry into downwind bumps and lift in upwind chop
Dug out standing area
The inside rails are dug out from the standing area through to the tail, providing more space to spread your feet for extra stability.
New high sidewalls
• Block water from entering the tray offers better handling in chop and greater control surfing on the rail.
• New rounded rail edge in the standing area makes for a more user-friendly entry when getting on board
Multiple drainage holes
Drain the water out in seconds.
Extra handle position
For beach race start and easy carrying.
Ace Race SUP Board: New Carbon
Lightweight, Flex Control
• Full wrap of stronger 180g Biaxial Carbon with a center stringer on the bottom
• The mid section of the board has extra Biaxial Carbon that wraps both inside and outside the rail for further stiffness and overall hull strength
• “End Grain” balsa wood is used in the full standing area for increased strength and impact resistance
• Infused paint pigment in the resin reduces the weight
Daniel Hasulyo, Starboard Dream Team Rider, race board developer and SUP World Champ, returns to South Korea for the 2023 SUP Asian Championship hosted in Seoul by the APP‘s Korean partners, KAPP (Korean Association of Paddlesurf Professionals). On the eve of the event, TotalSUP caught up with Daniel to find out what drives him to […]
Following the Starboard announcement about a new partnership with Union Paddlers and Sports Camps to support amateur and professional athletes with an easy access to high-quality gear, TotalSUP caught up with Andrey Kraytor, Olympian, World Canoe Sprint and SUP Champion, to find out more about it. Lined up clinics and training camps with Starboard’s Dream […]
C’est une planche Championne du Monde ! La Starboard Sprint Airline, nouvelle venue dans la gamme des planches gonflables de race de la marque au Tiki, est la planche qu’a utilisée Michael Booth lorsqu’il a gagné la médaille d’or à la course de SUP race gonflables des ICF World Championship en Pologne en 2022. Alors, […]
I recently had the pleasure of chatting to Sam Rutt, Starboard Team Rider ahead of her English Channel crossing attempt on the 29th of May 2023, starting from Dover UK. She is not only attempting this solo but going for a record time. Sam who has been paddling since 2014 and hails from Norfolk where […]
Explosion chez Starboard ! En voulant faire un comparatif de leur construction Welded Rail Technology face à une construction classique de stand-up paddle gonflable, Starboard ont tout fait péter ! C’est avec cette vidéo humoristique mais aussi très instructive que la marque au Tiki nous présente concrètement l’avantage des rails soudés sur les planches gonflables. […]
Mark Salter has just set a new bar and taken the UK by storm with a Guinness World Record for the fastest Stand Up Paddleboard descent of Loch Ness, Scotland UK, in a time of 4:01:49 over 36.24km. He took an undercover approach to this, springing the amazing news on us only days ago. In […]
The 2023 Cosmic Experience event has been announced! Focused uniquely on the Longboard SUP surf aspect of paddleboarding, the event will be held in Sanur, Bali on the 7th to 10th April 2023. The event will host an assembly of diehard longboard SUP surfers, Australian and past world champions, but it is also open to […]
Du nouveau du côté des SUP surf gonflables de chez Starboard ! Après le modèle Surf, voilà que le modèle Wedge, planche à l’origine rigide qui a fait ses preuves dans le domaine, vient se décliner également en version gonflable. En fonction du modèle, Surf ou Wedge, vous trouverez une longueur, une épaisseur et un […]
“These victories aren’t done alone,” says Cameron Tripney, Junior Sprint World Champion and Starboard Team Rider, that has been dominating his local SUP racing scene in South Africa for a while now. And among some of the most memorable moments in our sport that truly embody this statement, was seeing Cameron’s Team celebrating his win […]