With 10 years of development, it’s fair to say Starboard‘s Ace race stand up paddleboard has pioneered and led the innovation in dug out designs. Its unique narrow tail outline and dug out standing area, makes it a super fast board, perfectly suited for downwind specific races and open ocean conditions. TotalSUP had a close look at the cutting edge design of the 2020 Starboard Ace Race stand up paddleboard.
“Where there’s chop, you need to pop”
“I choose the Ace when downwinding as it’s the most fun you can have with the wind at your back. It is also perfect for those really choppy days or when the ocean is like a washing machine,” said Michael Booth, Starboard Dream Team Rider and ISA World Distance Champion. “The ace is very forgiving as you are standing right on the waterline in the dugout position! Can’t wait until summer in Perth to get this board out again.”
Fiona Wylde winning her 5th overall Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge title on her Starboard Ace board.
Round vee with double concave
• Allows the board to sit higher on the bumps, making it float over chops with ease
• Downwind the vee has a very smooth entry into bumps, accelerating the board into the next runner and feels more maneuverable to change direction.
New Concave Side Plane
• Provides stability directly under your feet
• Acts like stabilisers similar to a trimaran
New Wider Tail Outline
• Provides more stability when stepping back to surf and buoy turn
New Curved Rocker Line
• The round vee bottom creates a curved center rocker, helping to roll into bumps with ease without pearling the nose
New Eva Nose Ridge
Used to deflect water entering the tray and provides extra support when strapping boards to a roof rack. It comes in the accessory pack.
Nose Shape: Full Boxy Nose
• Full & boxy nose rails increases stability in side chop
• Limits drag from water wrapping around the nose and pulling the rails
• Provides extra buoyancy upwind and reduces the nose pitching downwind
• Curved nose kick for easy entry into downwind bumps and lift in upwind chop
Dug out standing area
The inside rails are dug out from the standing area through to the tail, providing more space to spread your feet for extra stability.
New high sidewalls
• Block water from entering the tray offers better handling in chop and greater control surfing on the rail.
• New rounded rail edge in the standing area makes for a more user-friendly entry when getting on board
Multiple drainage holes
Drain the water out in seconds.
Extra handle position
For beach race start and easy carrying.
Ace Race SUP Board: New Carbon
Lightweight, Flex Control
• Full wrap of stronger 180g Biaxial Carbon with a center stringer on the bottom
• The mid section of the board has extra Biaxial Carbon that wraps both inside and outside the rail for further stiffness and overall hull strength
• “End Grain” balsa wood is used in the full standing area for increased strength and impact resistance
• Infused paint pigment in the resin reduces the weight
Welcome back to the second part of the TotalSUP look back at the Paddle Logger Rise and Glide Podcast. In the first part of this feature, Chris from TotalSUP sat down with his headphones on and enjoyed the first 5 episodes with Maddie and Holly and now he is back with episodes 6 through 11. […]
The 2023 ICF SUP World Championships (15-19 November 2023) in Pattaya, Thailand is on! Here are the podium results of the highly-stacked celebration of our sport welcoming nearly 50 nations! Watch the 2023 ICF SUP World Championships with TotalSUP here DAY 4&5: TECHNICAL RACE RESULTS – WINNERS Men Open Technical Final 1.Connor Baxter (USA) 2.Itzel Delgado […]
The 2023 ICF SUP World Championships (15-19 November) in Pattaya, Thailand has officially kicked off! TotalSUP caught up with the Starboard SUP Dream Team Riders to ask about their SUP racing season to date, board set up and the ICF Worlds expectations. Fiona Wylde: SUP season to date: I’m coming from a bit of a […]
As the 2023 ICF SUP World Championship is about to kick-off, I want to take a moment to publicly send my deep thanks to Starboard for sponsoring our TotalSUP trip to Thailand which has taken my family and I to magical places like Khao Lak, Khao Sok and Kho Pha Ngan over the past two […]
The countdown to the 2023 ICF SUP World Championships held on 15-19 November 2023 in Pattaya, Thailand is on! With an impressive number of nations (44 and counting) already signed up, the highly-stacked ICF Worlds event is certainly setting the scene for some exciting SUP action with the defending Champions and new talent all fired […]
New gear, new sizes or upgrades, the 2024 Stand Up Paddle Range by Starboard is out! What’s new in the 2024 Starboard SUP lineup? – Ace Foil – a downwind foil board inspired from the famous Ace – Starboard Gen R – the flat deck race board is back! – X-15 Foilboard – a board […]
Last year Japanese SUP Racer and new Starboard recruit Rai Tagushi left a lasting impression in the world SUP Racing community by securing a double win at the 1st edition of the Busan SUP Open in Korea, one of the most remarkable performances of the year 2022. As we approach the 2nd edition of this […]
Starboard Team launches Gen-R, this highly anticipated board for 2024 is a new breed amongst Starboards already extensive and world class range of race SUPs. There have been a few boards circulating amongst the Starboard Dream Team riders, where they have already been exhibiting amazing performances on them. The Gen-R is ‘bridging the gap’ between […]
Power, focus and conviction seem to be the accurate words to describe the racing style of Linus Karlsson, six-time Swedish SUP Champion and Starboard Team Rider. TotalSUP caught up with Linus in between two races – Planet Baltic SUP Race in Poland (where he has just bagged fresh podiums – Technical Race Win and Silver […]
Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.
3rd Party Cookies
We use a set of third party tools to provide information on how our users engage with our website so that we can improve the experience of the website for our users. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!