Once or twice a year I am lucky enough to go on one of those special trips. I call them expeditions because it is an exploration into the unknown. A stand up paddle board my preferred way to travel. I honestly don’t know where I going to sleep tomorrow. I know it will be on Tanna one of the 70 islands which make up Vanuatu. A group of islands roughly situated between Fiji and Papua New Guinea. And I know that we will have an inflatable SUP and 3-piece paddle to get around on and a tent to sleep in.
This time Trevor Tunnington and I decided to go bare minimum. Some clothing essentials, navigation gear and a day ration of food. I have often done these trips alone but it is so much nicer to share the experiences you encounter. Trevor is not only an accomplished sup racer but also a fun person to travel with. You have to be easy and open minded to enjoy trips like this then you will have an experience you ill never forget.
10 facts about Vanuatu and the Vanuatu SUP Expedition
Vanuatu has some interesting facts which makes this a unique country far away from civilization.
1. Vanuatu is one of the most dangerous countries in the world in terms of natural disasters. It is positioned exactly over the ring of fire and has very active volcanos, frequent visits from cyclones, earthquakes, flooding and sea level rises.
2. Vanuatu is one of the least visited countries in the world.
3. Most of its inhabitants live a very simple lifestyle. They live in nature from nature. A sustaining form of life where the western world could learn a thing or two from. It will be interesting to see how they deal with plastic pollution.
4. At the same time it is also one of the happiest countries in the world which proves again that wealth is not the key to happiness.
5. As I said, we travel very light this time. This is what gear we bring on this 12 day expedition. Starboard 14’ Touring, 3-pieces paddles, drybag/backpacks, compass, GPS, satellite tracker/messenger, tent, sleeping pads, knife, led lights, 2 shirts, 2 shorts, hat, Maui Jim sunglasses, suncream, emergency expedition blanket (works as a sleeping bag) 2x 3 liter water bags, water purifying tablets and some nuts and dried fruit just in case.
6. Cannibalism was practiced as recent as 1969, so we are on the safe side now, specially because I bought some dried fruits and nuts in case we need to trade…
7. Bungee jumping was invented in Vanuatu. On the island of Pentecoste, men and boys have to proof themselves by jumping from a wooden tower with vines around their legs.
8. The island Torba is banning importation of Western food by 2020, to become totally organic. This is to ban unhealthy western food and replace by locally produced organic food.
9. On Tanna, is one of the most accessible active volcanos, Mt Yasur. You can stand on the rim while the volcano is bursting lava in the air right in front of you.
10. There are over 120 different languages and even more dialects in this spread out country. Luckily for us, English is one of the official languages so everyone understands each other.
We will be paddling and exploring some of these islands in the next 2 weeks. Due to the lack of internet, a full cover story with phots and video will come out after we return home.
“Stacked field of pro SUP athletes”, “gnarly ocean conditions”, “incredible experience” and “an excellent event organisation” are some of the recurring themes summing up the Madeira Island Sup Challenge (MISC) 2023, the EuroTour Grand Slam event, held on the Madeira Island this past weekend, a stunning archipelago situated in the North Atlantic Ocean and located about […]
Daniel Hasulyo, Starboard Dream Team Rider, race board developer and SUP World Champ, returns to South Korea for the 2023 SUP Asian Championship hosted in Seoul by the APP‘s Korean partners, KAPP (Korean Association of Paddlesurf Professionals). On the eve of the event, TotalSUP caught up with Daniel to find out what drives him to […]
Following the Starboard announcement about a new partnership with Union Paddlers and Sports Camps to support amateur and professional athletes with an easy access to high-quality gear, TotalSUP caught up with Andrey Kraytor, Olympian, World Canoe Sprint and SUP Champion, to find out more about it. Lined up clinics and training camps with Starboard’s Dream […]
C’est une planche Championne du Monde ! La Starboard Sprint Airline, nouvelle venue dans la gamme des planches gonflables de race de la marque au Tiki, est la planche qu’a utilisée Michael Booth lorsqu’il a gagné la médaille d’or à la course de SUP race gonflables des ICF World Championship en Pologne en 2022. Alors, […]
I recently had the pleasure of chatting to Sam Rutt, Starboard Team Rider ahead of her English Channel crossing attempt on the 29th of May 2023, starting from Dover UK. She is not only attempting this solo but going for a record time. Sam who has been paddling since 2014 and hails from Norfolk where […]
Explosion chez Starboard ! En voulant faire un comparatif de leur construction Welded Rail Technology face à une construction classique de stand-up paddle gonflable, Starboard ont tout fait péter ! C’est avec cette vidéo humoristique mais aussi très instructive que la marque au Tiki nous présente concrètement l’avantage des rails soudés sur les planches gonflables. […]
Mark Salter has just set a new bar and taken the UK by storm with a Guinness World Record for the fastest Stand Up Paddleboard descent of Loch Ness, Scotland UK, in a time of 4:01:49 over 36.24km. He took an undercover approach to this, springing the amazing news on us only days ago. In […]
The 2023 Cosmic Experience event has been announced! Focused uniquely on the Longboard SUP surf aspect of paddleboarding, the event will be held in Sanur, Bali on the 7th to 10th April 2023. The event will host an assembly of diehard longboard SUP surfers, Australian and past world champions, but it is also open to […]
Du nouveau du côté des SUP surf gonflables de chez Starboard ! Après le modèle Surf, voilà que le modèle Wedge, planche à l’origine rigide qui a fait ses preuves dans le domaine, vient se décliner également en version gonflable. En fonction du modèle, Surf ou Wedge, vous trouverez une longueur, une épaisseur et un […]